Basics for Beginners
Basics for Beginners
Basics for Beginners is a digital self-study course created for those thirsting for a taste of the most beautiful language on Earth (we're biased). Designed for complete beginners, it is also an excellent way for intermediate learners to experience Carrie Anne’s method for the first time. It is recommended to be completed over 4 weeks, yet designed to be enjoyed at your own pace. An excellent prep course for Université Part 1 or Comprehensive, it includes online audio, written and video materials.
Topics include: How to learn French efficiently, French manners & mentality, greetings & farewells, pronunciation, questions, first verbs, the gender of French nouns, basic travel French, adjectives and vocabulary building tricks.
1 hour of video instruction total
2 hours of audio instruction total
14 page Course Workbook (in PDF form)
WHO IS IT FOR?
Basics for Beginners is for all Francophiles flirting with the idea of learning le français. It efficiently guides you through your first French steps, while gently lighting up the journey ahead. If you are in the early stages of your French Journey, or if you are an intermediate student (DELF A2-B1) intrigued by Carrie Anne's coaching style and would like to experience it firsthand at a low-cost investment, this course was made with you in mind. It also serves as a prep course for Université 1 and Comprehensive.
WHO IS IT NOT FOR?
This program is not for anyone who has successfully taken the B1 DELF exam (or beyond). Also not for anyone looking for a long-term course with an online community and personalized feedback - check out Université 1, Comprehensive and / or private coaching with Carrie Anne if that is what you are looking for.
SPECIAL OFFER + BONUS LESSON
This course comes with the one hour recording of a past live coaching call with Carrie Anne, plus the Vowel Drills bonus lesson (for example, the vowel sounds found in 'tu' and ‘de').
The following lessons are taught and discussed in each week's video, audio recording and accompanying Course Workbook chapter. The videos outline each week's vocabulary, pronunciation and/or grammar discussion and their accompanying audio recordings contain pronunciation and memorization exercises.
The Course Workbook contains lesson notes, grammar explanations, audio recording transcripts and written exercises:
How to pronounce the 6 French R's
Definite Articles: 'the, a, an, one'
Indefinite Articles: 'some'
1st video + audio
The most commonly used French verbs in the present tense
French Personal Pronouns: I, you (informal and formal), he / she / one, we, you guys, they
How to make a sentence negative
2nd video + audio
Practical French Vocabulary
Useful French Expressions
3rd video + audio
Vocabulary Building Tricks and Tips
Gender Rules of French Nouns
True Cognates: words that are the same in French and English
Adjectives (including 'this / these / those')
French Accent Marks
4th video + audio
Duration: Divided into 4 sections, it is recommended to be completed over 4 weeks, but designed to be used at your own pace.
Teaching style: Self-study
Content delivery: All four lessons will be delivered together following your purchase.
Commitment time: 3 hours per week recommended
Level: Complete beginner - A2 DELF
Maximum students per class: No limit
Audio: 4 instructional audios, 1 coaching call audio and 1 bonus pronunciation drill audio
Video: 4 videos outlining each week’s vocabulary, pronunciation and / or grammar discussion
Course Workbook: 14-pages containing lesson notes, grammar explanations, audio recording transcripts and written exercises
ABOUT CARRIE ANNE
As a fluent non-native speaker who spent years in the classroom learning French grammar and later studying French literature at U.C. Berkeley and La Sorbonne, as well as classical piano at L'École Normale de la Musique in Paris before obtaining real-world fluency, she knows precisely which aspects of the French language are perceived to be the most difficult. Carrie Anne focuses on those aspects in order to coach you to feeling fluent and expressing your full personality in French as quickly as possible.
- How long does the course run? Divided into 4 sections, it is recommended to be completed over 4 weeks, but designed to be used at your own pace.
- How much time do I need to set aside for the course? We suggest setting aside 3 hours per week in order to complete it over 4 weeks.
- Is there homework? Oui.
- Will I be graded? Yes. You will have the opportunity to grade your work immediately and learn from any incorrect answers using the answer key provided in your Course Workbook.
- Will I receive personalized feedback on my work and progress? No. You will have the opportunity to grade your work using the provided answer key. For personalized pronunciation feedback as well as feedback on written exercises, please consider a private coaching session with Carrie Anne.
- Do I need to be online at certain times in order to participate? No.
- Will I have access to all of the course's content at once? Yes.
- Do I need to already know French to participate? If so, how much? None whatsoever. That said, if you already do know some French and would like to review the basics as a preliminary step before registering for our Comprehensive course, this course was made for that.
- When will I be able to watch a French movie without subtitles/read a French book or French magazine? Bonne question. Starting today! The best way to learn quickly is to begin at your ideal destination, with your imagined goal, using films, books and blogs whose subjects inspire you (not beginner’s materials). However, in order to comprehend most of what is being said in a French film without subtitles, or written in French without a dictionary handy, you will need to successfully complete Basics for Beginners, Université 1 or Comprehensive, Université 2 and, of course, make an effort to have French in your daily life using our free weekly French Weekend emails, par exemple.
- What if I don't love it? As this course is delivered in-full upon purchase, and completely digitally, returns and/or refunds are not available. We encourage you to enjoy all of the available free content on this site, including our Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and SoundCloud accounts for more free content, to determine if Carrie Anne’s method and coaching style are right for you before making your purchase. The Université 1 & 2 programs come with a first lesson trial offer.