Café French is the most popular lesson from Carrie Anne’s travel French programs (French for Travelers and French for Paris). It teaches you everything you need to know to enjoy Paris like a Parisian. Everything. And in record time. This self-study program for travelers (not tourists) quickly gets to the heart of everything you want (and only what you need) to know while traveling in France and enjoying la vie Parisienne in cafés and restaurants. PLUS it comes with a list of Carrie Anne's personal favorite cafés (and even her favorite tables and delights).
This program also contains Carrie Anne's expert cultural advice as well as a mantra to give you the courage to use your French in Paris.
The questions, responses and vocabulary in the course’s audio are exactly what you will hear and need to know how to say as you eat, drink and sip your way through cafés and restaurants (restos for short) in the City of Lights. Carrie Anne's 'film script' technique is the perfect prep for your dream experience in Paris. It feels as effortless as memorizing the lyrics of your favorite song.
You will also learn the magical terms of French manners, such as bonjour, bonne journée and s’il vous plaît. These are the tiny phrases that will make a huge difference in how serveurs and serveuses react to you. A program unlike any other, it will show you not just how to speak French, but how to say things the French way, how to connect with French people.
Topics include: ordering coffee and wine, French manners, enjoying meals in restaurants, asking for a table outside and more.
1 audio lesson with practice dialogue and vocabulary list
20 page e-book with audio transcript, Carrie Anne's expert cultural advice and her favorite Parisian cafés.
Who is it for?
Do you plan to dine, lunch, sip coffee en terrasse, enjoy fine wine, be polite in French and enjoy Parisian café culture? Carrie Anne made this program for you. Also suitable for Francophiles venturing to Bordeaux, Provence, Cannes, Reims, Normandy, Brittany, the Loire Valley and beyond.
Who is it not for?
This digital audio course is not for anyone looking to dive deeply into the French language, to learn the ins and outs of French grammar or to have an online group class community with personalized feedback. If this is what you are looking for, kindly have a look at our Université and Comprehensive programs. This program is also not for anyone looking for a travel French program beyond ordering in cafés and restaurants. Check out the complete French for Travelers program if you also plan to shop in French, for example.
Duration: 35 minutes
Teaching style: Self-study
Content delivery: The entire program will be delivered following your purchase.
Commitment time: Minimum 2 hours, ideally followed by 10 minutes of daily practice thereafter leading up to your take-off (the more you practice, the better your results will be).
Level: For anyone wishing to learn travel French or brush up on their travel French; A1-B2 DELF.
Audio: 35 minute audio lesson with interactive practice exercises
Audio Transcript: 20 pages of instruction and audio transcript
Bonus Material: Carrie Anne's list of favorite Parisian cafés
ABOUT CARRIE ANNE
As a fluent non-native speaker who spent years in the classroom learning French grammar and later studying French literature at U.C. Berkeley and La Sorbonne, as well as classical piano at L'École Normale de la Musique in Paris before obtaining real-world fluency, she knows precisely which aspects of the French language are perceived to be the most difficult. Carrie Anne focuses on those aspects in order to coach you to feeling fluent and expressing your full personality in French as quickly as possible.
- How long does the course run? This is a self-study audio program that can be successfully completed in as little as a weekend. Some students have even used the audio as the soundtrack to their flight to Paris. It is designed to be used at your own pace.
- How much time do I need to set aside for the course? We suggest setting aside at least 2 hours in order to complete the course's content, ideally practicing it thereafter for at least 10 minutes a day until the moment that your plane lands in France.
- Is there homework? Oui.
- Will I be graded? Non. But, you will feel like you deserve an A+ upon seeing your results at work while ordering at cafés in Paris! You will have the opportunity to grade your practice immediately as you listen to Carrie Anne correctly pronounce the course’s content and also by referring to the dialogues as outlined in the Audio Transcripts.
- Will I receive personalized feedback on my work and progress? No. You will have the opportunity to analyze your progress using the provided audio and its transcript. For personalized pronunciation feedback, please consider a private coaching session with Carrie Anne.
- Do I need to be online at certain times in order to participate? No. The beauty of this self-study course is that you can take it with you to be enjoyed anytime, anywhere, as the majority of its content is in the audio recording that can be listened to with your mobile phone or at your laptop.
- Will I have access to all of the course's content at once? Yes.
- Do I need to already know French to participate? If so, how much? None whatsoever. Intermediate learners will find this course to be an efficient review for an upcoming trip; beginning students will find this course to be the only resource they need to learn travel French. If you would also like to learn or review the basics of French in general, then kindly have a look at our Basics for Beginners program. You can also check out our 10 day digital self-study French pronunciation course (with 10 audio tracks, plus a bonus recording that will help you to correctly pronounce French brands and places), Say Bon, C'est Bon.
- When will I be able to order un verre de vin rouge (a glass of red wine) in French? In as little as 3 minutes. This self-study program for travelers (not tourists) quickly gets to the heart of everything you want (and only what you need) to know while traveling in France and enjoying la vie Parisienne.
- What if I don't love it? As this course is delivered in-full upon purchase, and completely digitally, returns and/or refunds are not available. We encourage you to enjoy all of the available free content on this site, including our Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and SoundCloud accounts for more free content, to determine if Carrie Anne’s method and coaching style are right for you before making your purchase. The Université 1 & 2 programs come with a first lesson trial offer.